Jordan Electric Viola's are made to order and can be sized to exactly mirror your existing acoustic Viola.
Features and Pricing
All models feature carved wood neck thru body, ebony fingerboard and nut, ebony button Schaller tuners, ebony Kaufman chinrest and firmly attached Kun shoulder rest. Individually preferred chinrest and/or shoulder rest may be substituted at no additional charge. I’ve done several electric violas over the years including this 16 ½” five string viola for Alexander Mishnaevski (the principal Violist with the Detroit Symphony).
Some electric makers offer only one size of electric viola. Since viola sizes are not standardized, my approach is to make violas to order to match the sizes of people’s existing violas. This involves more work than making violins where one adult size really does basically fit everyone. For the extra work of getting the needed measurements, making a plan based on each viola, and then building the instrument based on that plan there is an extra charge of $990 over the base price of the violins I make. Since there is only one case pricing option for all the violas I make, I include the price of the case with the viola.
Other than that, the pricing of the violin options are directly applicable to a viola.
The JORDAN ELECTRIC VIOLA standard four string model features maple neck thru body finished in a solid opaque color of your choice and choice of Starfish or Barbera Standard transducer bridge. It is custom made and sized to match your personal viola and includes a deluxe oblong case.
The options chosen will dtermine the final price of your instrument.
Wood & Finish Upgrades
- Pearlescent or metallic finishes - add $100
- Lightly flamed maple with transparent finish - add $170
- Heavily flamed maple with transparent finish - add $340
- Exotic hardwood body - add $340 & up
- Holoflash, or other custom finish - add $340 & up
- Harlequin color shifting finishes - add $480
- Gold plated metal hardware - add $160
- Custom Inlays - quoted individually
- Barbera Hybrid Standard transducer bridge - add $100
- Barbera Stereo Twin transducer bridge(Standard or Hybrid design) - add $250
- StringAmp transducer system - quoted individually
- Other transducer options including: Barcus-Berry, Bowtronics, Fishman, L.R. Baggs, Schaller, Shadow, and Zeta Strados-(limited availability).
- Internal or external preamplifiers. - quoted individually
- Detachable upper bout - add $340
- Five string instrument - add $340
- Six string instrument - add $900
- Seven string instrument - add $1480
- Fretted Violas - add $650
Included in the price of the viola is a Deluxe Oblong Case with: Cordura cover, velvet interior, matching blanket, and four bow holders.
Any conventional bow can be used with our electric instruments. For those players who are thinking of a modern bow to match with their new electric viola, we offer the full CodaBow line of graphite-fiber bows including the CodaBow Electric. These fine bows are available at special prices when purchased with our violas.
We highly recommend Super-Sensitive Sensicore Strings for our violas. Super-Sensitive makes the special low and high pitched strings for our extended range instruments and their standard pitch strings are also unsurpassed in quality. These will be the strings that come stock on your Jordan Viola and you can always order replacement sets from us.
There are many excellent choices of amplifiers that work well with electric viola. Most of the best choices are designed as acoustic instrument amplifiers as these have ultra-high impedance inputs that match ideally with the types of transducers used to sense the string vibrations, and they are designed for accurate sound reproduction.
There are far too many brands and models to list all the possibilities, but here are some popular choices: